- » Conference of PGA in Europe
- European PGA Infopoints
» general discussions about the movement and strategy – pga discussion
» bulletins and leaflets
» pga from a – z – archives of global actions
» Summary of email lists and web sites
archives of global protests
» Globalisation and War
From the 23rd to the 26th of February of 1998, grassroots movements of all continents met in Geneva to launch a worldwide coordination network of resistance to the global market, a new alliance of struggle and solidarity called Peoples' Global Action against 'free' trade and the WTO (PGA). That was the birth of this global tool for communication and coordination for all those who fight the destruction of humanity and the planet by capitalism and build local alternatives to globalisation.
The defining documents of the PGA are its five hallmarks, its organisational principles and its manifesto.
At the conference in Bangalore, India in August 1999 the hallmarks and the organisational principles were amended to reflect discussions about clarifying differences to right-wing anti-globalizers. A new second hallmark was added.
The Hallmarks were changed at the conference in Cochabamba 2001.
- A very clear rejection of capitalism, imperialism and feudalism; all trade agreements, institutions and governments that promote destructive globalisation;
- We reject all forms and systems of domination and discrimination including, but not limited to, patriarchy, racism and religious fundamentalism of all creeds. We embrace the full dignity of all human beings.
- A confrontational attitude, since we do not think that lobbying can have a major impact in such biased and undemocratic organisations, in which transnational capital is the only real policy-maker;
- A call to direct action and civil disobedience, support for social movements' struggles, advocating forms of resistance which maximize respect for life and oppressed peoples' rights, as well as the construction of local alternatives to global capitalism;
- An organisational philosophy based on decentralisation and autonomy.
Bulletin 0 - december 97, Bulletin 1 - april 98, Bulletin 2 - june 98, Bulletin 3 - (not published), Bulletin 4 - november 99, Bulletin 5 - February 2000, Bulletin 6 - February/March 2001
|archives of global protests: country reports|
Argentina / Asia / Bangladesh / Belize / Bolivia / Brasil / Bulgaria / Chad / Chile / Colombia / Costa Rica / Ecuador, Camp Ecuador, / Guatemala / Honduras / India / Israel / Mali / Malawi / Mexico / Burma (Myanmar) / Nigeria / Pakistan / Palestine / Panama / Paraguay / Peru / Russia / South Africa / South Korea / Tanzania / Thailand / Tibet / Ukraine / Uruguay / Venezuela / West Papua / Zambia / etc.
english / espagnol/ castellano / català / italiano / deutsch / français / russkij / portugues
archives of global protests
recent and upcoming events
» 2006 | 2005 | 2004
» 2003 | 2002 | 2001
» 2000 | 1998/99
more links coming soon...
We are everywhere
Move into the Light
read as html
Shut Them Down!
Days of Dissent