We received the following news item through the ANTIFA INFO-BULLETIN from the 1st. August 1996 (Bay Area Coalition for Our Reproductive Rights (BACORR), 750 La Playa # 730, San Francisco, California 94121, Voice: (415) 437-4032, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). It originates from the US-american newsagency Associated Press (http://www.nando.net/newsroom/ntn/nation/073196/ Subject: nation1_18202.html). The translation was done by us.
We have not been able to check the contents of this AP-news item so far. Therefore we would be grateful for further details on Morelands situation, the exact course of events, the development of the investigation and the content of the brochure that Moreland is accused to have distributed.
Copyright © 1996 Nando.net
Copyright © 1996 The Associated Press
JONESBORO, Ga. (Jul 31, 1996 4:41 p.m. EDT)
An 18-year-old self-styled anarchist who allegedly wrote and distributed a homemade, anti-government pamphlet has been charged with advocating the overthrow of the U.S. government.
Jason Paul Moreland from suburban Atlanta remained in Clayton County's jail Wednesday in lieu of $50,000 bond.
Moreland turned himself in Sunday. Authorities obtained a warrant for his arrest Saturday after the pipe bombing at Centennial Olympic Park, although police say they don't think he played any role in the crime. Moreland had been under investigation since July 8.
"He told us he was only interested in destroying property, and I don't think he fully understands the ramifications," Police Lt. Larry Gibson said. "Whatever he was up to, we wanted to nip it in the bud."
Others allegedly made copies of the pamphlet and distributed it, but police expect to make no further arrests, police spokesman Doug Jewett said Wednesday.
The pamphlet was laced with anti-police cartoons, obscenities and anarchist slogans. The one overt reference to violence was an illustration of a Molotov cocktail.
The charge carries a sentence of one to 20 years in prison and up to a $20,000 fine, Jewett said.
Th., 1st of August
Contrary to an invitation of the Turkish Minister for Foreign Affairs - Tansu Ciller - to the international public, a human-rights delegation from Germany was kept from viewing Turkish prisons. The delegation with members from the PDS (Party of Democratic Socialism), the GUENEN (GREEN Party) and the AstA (Student committee) of the Darmstadt Technical Highschool reported that they were denied entry to the Bayrampasa-Prison as well as to the nine prisoners whose lives are in danger following the hunger strike of Turkish prisoners.
They also reported that the government had massively violated the agreements that had led to the ending of the hunger strike. In conversations with relatives, members of human-rights-associations, doctors and critical journalists they were told that the agreed returning of prisoners from the infamous prison in Eskesehir to a prison in Istanbul had not taken place, prisoners were cuffed during medical transports and mail from relatives was not being forwarded.
The agreement that was negotiated with the Turkish government by human-rights activists, lawyers and artists on behalf of the political prisoners has not been signed by a member of the government yet. Meanwhile the Turkish minister of justice, Kazan, declared to charge all who were involved in the hunger strike and hold them responsible for the deaths of their inmates.
On their return the members of the German delegation accused the German government of becoming an accomplice of this undemocratic torture-state because of its unscrupulous support. They also held the Turkish Minister of the Interior, Mehmet Agar, and the Minister of Justice, Sevket Kazan, responsible for the death of the twelve people who died in the hungerstrike and demanded that both should be charged by the European Court.
News by A-Infos (D)
Reprints mentioning this source are welcome We would be glad for you to copy, reprint or quote from our publications. If possible, please send us a copy of any flyers, articles etc. in which you use our information.